Regain your energy (at any age)!
Updated: Mar 25, 2021
How often do you hear people excuse themselves from exercise and other activities with the explantation that they are "getting old" or they don't have the energy anymore? I believe the amount of energy you have each day is a good indicator of how healthy you are.
Most days in my naturopathic clinic I work with people who are very low in energy, exhausted and overwhelmed with responsibilities at work and at home.
Men and women often tell me that tiredness forces them to go to bed early, they sleep for 9 to 10 hours and wake with no more energy than the day before.
Yes, our energy declines as we age, but there are many other reasons for low energy that are within our ability to manage, at whatever age we may be.
Here are my top 15 reasons why someone might feel exhausted or low in energy:
1. Food choices are not providing the necessary nutrients for energy production
2. Digestive problems are inhibiting the absorption of essential nutrients from the diet
3. The thyroid gland is under or over functioning
4. Blood sugar fluctuations or insulin resistance
5. Poor sleep habits or waking in the early hours of the morning
6. Lack of exercise, sedentary lifestyle, loss of muscle
7. Chronic everyday stress disrupting hormone balance
8. Recovering from an illness that hasn't cleared from the body (low immune function)
9. Auto-immune conditions
10. Declining liver function
11. Emotional problems, anxiety or depression
12. Iron deficiency (often due to heavy periods in women)
14. Lack of direction and purpose in life
15. Overuse of coffee and alcohol
What might be your reason(s) for feeling so tired?
Did you find that some, or perhaps many of the above apply to you? Typically I find that there are a combination of factors complicating someones health and sometimes leading into a downward spiral. The good news is, with naturopathic treatment, these are all manageable problems!
Make some simple changes today:
1. Get some advice about healthy food choices
2. Make water your drink of choice throughout the day
3. Do some form of exercise everyday for at least 30 minutes
4. Turn off the television, computer or other device an hour before bed
5. Cut back on coffee and alcohol, aim for no more than 1 cup of coffee or glass of alcohol daily
Working with a naturopath
Work with me to find out exactly what combination of factors might be causing your tiredness. Get support to make adjustments to your diet and lifestyle. Improve all the areas of your health that are lowering your energy levels.
You may also enjoy reading my blog 12 habits of healthy women.
Hi! I'm Simone Jeffries. I am a Sydney based naturopath, herbalist, nutritionist and wellness coach.
I welcome clients to my clinic in Surry Hills and work online Australia wide.